Project Description

SUSTAINABLE FARMING TECHNIQUES

AGRICULTURE

Food security and Nutrition

Agriculture is the main activity of the total production in KASESE District. Most food got from agriculture is used for home consumption like 88% while the remaining 12% is for sale. It remains however, a region with a poor rural population with the majority living below the poverty line. The majority of the households have a cash income of less than $1. About 88% of the economically active population has no formal employment.

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

NYAKU’s food security program supports the targeted rural communities with various agronomic training practices, improved cereal and legume seeds, animals, high value crops like green vegetables, mushrooms, fruits apples, paw paws and avocado to ensure high yields for increased household food and nutrition security. This improves health among the communities due to reduction in nutrition related diseases like kwashiorkor.

Piggery Revolving Project

NYAKU is considering the piggery project which has benefited a few members so far since it has been lacking enough support. The beneficiaries here are especially women though the youth will be next beneficiaries since there is rotation of the pigs as new piglets are born, this is aimed at empowering women and the youth by earning small incomes from sale of young piglets and also developing skills in piggery caring. This will financially empower the beneficiaries and also reduce on poverty in families.

IMG_0284

Much Support is needed since the project is planned to benefit the youth and this will surely engage them in the running the project which will be also rotational. This support can be in kind; pigs, poles and timber to cater for their shelter, animals’ feeds, and vetinary services, gum boots, financial or volunteering.

0
Farmers Supported
0.6M
Donated
Donate Now

Annual Month of Giving

Always Do Your Part
HELPING OTHERS
0
0
0
0
Days
0
0
Hrs
0
0
Min
0
0
Sec

NYAKU’s food security program supports the rural communities with various agronomic training practices, improved cereal and legume seeds, animals, high value crops like green vegetables, mushrooms, fruits apples, paw paws and avocado to ensure high yields for increased household food and nutrition security

CHANGE A LIFE TODAY

As long as poverty, injustice & inequality persist, none of us can truly rest. It doesn’t take much to change a life, Get in touch today and start making the difference.

VOLUNTEER
DONATE NOW